Protect your system during winter
How to protect your system during the winter
Of course we do not ever want our heat to go out but no one wants to have their heat suddenly go out on a cold winter day. Below are some things you can do to protect your unit during the winter.
• An air conditioner cover can lower the risk of damage to the metal from repeated freezing and thawing, but you have to be careful. We do not recommend just using any old tarp as moisture can accumulate underneath some coverings.
• Regularly change the air filters in your heating and cooling units. Your heating system works harder in the winter, you may even want to change your filters more often than usual. This is a big one we have already seen a few times this winter. Clogged and overused filters WILL cause your heat to stop working. To learn more about how often and what filters to use please check out our December Monthly Tip video all about filters!
• Ensure that water from rain and snowmelt drains away from your home. Gutters can sometimes cause water or ice to fall on your unit so be sure to keep an eye on them!
• This isn’t completely necessary but can help. Create a wind barrier a few feet from your unit. You can use shrubs or even a fence would provide additional protection.
• This one may seem repetitive, but is very crucial when it comes to protecting your heat pump/furnace. Have an HVAC professional inspect and maintain the heating system.